May 19 NY event to benefit The American Merchant Marine Museum at Kings Point.
AFL-CIO President, John J. Sweeney will give a special address at a gala honoring American Maritime Labor to be held by the United States Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Foundation on May 19.
Mr. Sweeney will also be introducing US Department of Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta. Secretary Mineta will be the keynote speaker and award presenter for the evening. The event will benefit The American Merchant Marine Museum at Kings Point and will be held at the Waldorf Astoria in New York.
Eugene McCormick, foundation president, said: “The museum at the Merchant Marine Academy is as much a testimony to the union members that helped build the maritime industry as it is to the industry itself.”
The unions being honored are:
- American Maritime Officers
- American Radio Association
- International Longshoremen’s Association
- Inlandboatmen’s Union of the Pacific
- International Longshoremen’s & Warehousemen’s Union
- International Organization of Masters Mates & Pilots
- Marine Engineer’s Beneficial Association, District 1
- Marine Fireman’s Union
- Sailors Union of the Pacific
- Seafarers’ International Union of North America
Tickets are $425 each and are available through Carly Gottsegen at Ruth C. Schwartz & Co. at 1-800-807-1787. Souvenir journal information can be obtained from BSY Associates Inc., Barbara Yeninas or Scott Saltz at firstname.lastname@example.org.