AJOT Digital Edition
Issue #589

Cover of issue-589.png

New York Ports

NVOCC and Freight Forwarder Review

View Issue #589 Now!

2014 Media Kit
  • Share this article:

Dnata enters strategic partnership with Chinese airport group

By: | at 08:00 PM | Air Cargo  

Emirates Groups’ ground handling arm helps strengthen existing operations

Dnata, the ground handling arm of Dubai’s widely recognized Emirates Group, has signed a joint venture agreement with China West Airport Group (CWAG) to provide airport ground handling services in Xi’an Xianyang International Airport (XXIA).

The agreement was signed yesterday at the Pan Pacific Hotel, Singapore, between Mr. Gary Chapman, President of Dnata & Associated Companies and Mr. He Xikui, President of CWAG. The joint venture company will also be allowed to participate in operations at ten other smaller airports managed by CWAG.

Under the Joint Venture agreement, Dnata will hold a 45% stake in Xi’an Dnata Aviation Services Company Limited, while the remaining 55 percent will be owned by CWAG. The joint venture has a 15-year tenure providing airport ground handling services at XXIA.

‘The collaboration between Dnata and CWAG will strengthen the existing handling operations with the expectation of business growth and operational synergies. Both parties aim to bring their collective capabilities to deliver high quality and efficient ground handling operations at Xi’an Xianyang International Airport,’ said Mr. Chapman said. ‘Dnata believes that this strategic partnership will be able to help Xi’an Xianyang International Airport realize its potential of becoming one of the leading aviation hubs in China, and we look forward to working closely with our partners in CWAG.’

‘As one of the regional airport hubs in China, the popularity of Xi’an with its rich historical and cultural heritage makes Xi’an an important tourist destination in addition to also being a Hi-Tech Industrial Development Zone in China,’ noted Mr. He. ‘Aircraft and passenger movements at Xi’an airport is expected to grow by over 12 to 15 percent in the coming years from 117,000 flights and 10.9 million passengers, respectively.’

Having established extensive operations in Middle East, Dnata is making inroads into the ground handling business in Asia Pacific with operations in Singapore, Philippines, Pakistan and Australia. Changi International Airport Services Pte., Ltd. (CIAS), Dnata’s wholly-owned subsidiary in Singapore, will provide management support services with the assignment of a senior management staff as General Manager of the new joint venture in Xi’an.

The collaboration between Dnata and China West Airport Group is of great importance to both parties in promoting the active development of airport ground handling and related industries in Western China. With the signing of the Joint Venture Agreement, Dnata is poised to make a significant contribution to Xi’an Xianyang International Airport to enhance its service standards and the corporate image as a regional hub in western China.