View Issue #583 Now!
Baltic index up with surge in capesize rates
Dec 20(Reuters) - The Baltic Exchange’s main sea freightindex, which tracks rates for ships carrying dry bulkcommodities, jumped up on Friday as capesize rates increasedafter remaining on the decline for five days.
* The overall index, which factors in the average dailyearnings of capesize, panamax, supramax and handysize dry bulktransport vessels, rose by 74 points, or 3.47 percent, to 2,208points.
* The Baltic’s capesize index went up 279 points, or7.76 percent to 3,875 points.
* Average daily earnings for capesizes, which typicallytransport 150,000-tonne cargoes such as iron ore and coal,gained $3078, to $35,886.
* The panamax index fell 25 points, or 1.33 percent,to 1,858 points.
* Average daily earnings for panamaxes, which usually carry60,000- to 70,000-tonne cargoes of coal or grains, were down$202 to $14,815. (Reporting by Anupam Chatterjee in Bangalore; editing by KeironHenderson)
American Journal of Transportation
116 Court Street, Suite 5
Plymouth, MA 02360
© Copyright 1999–2014 American Journal of Transportation.All Rights Reserved.