Hong Kong statistics on vessels, port cargo and containers for the 3rd quarter

By: | at 07:00 PM | Ports & Terminals  

Hong Kong’s Census and Statistics Department (C&SD) released statistics on vessels, port cargo and containers for the third quarter of 2009.

In the third quarter of 2009, total port cargo throughput decreased by 4% over a year earlier to 64.4 million tonnes.  Within this total, inward and outward port cargo dropped by 2% and 7% to 36.3 million tonnes and 28.1 million tonnes respectively.

For the first nine months of 2009, total port cargo throughput decreased by 10% over a year earlier to 178.3 million tonnes.  Within this total, inward and outward port cargo dropped by 8% and 12% to 102.4 million tonnes and 75.9 million tonnes respectively.

On a seasonally adjusted quarter-to-quarter comparison, total port cargo throughput increased by 5% in the third quarter of 2009.  Within this total, inward and outward port cargo went up by 4% and 6% respectively.  The seasonally adjusted series enables more meaningful shorter-term comparison to be made for discerning possible variations in trends.

PORT CARGO
Within port cargo, seaborne cargo dropped by 7% compared to a year earlier to 43.1 million tonnes, while river cargo increased by 1% to 21.3 million tonnes in the third quarter of 2009.

Within inward port cargo, imports increased by 5% in the third quarter of 2009 over a year earlier to 19.5 million tonnes, while inward transhipment decreased by 9% to 16.8 million tonnes.  For outward port cargo, exports (including domestic exports and re-exports) and outward transhipment decreased by 8% and 6% over a year earlier to 10.3 million tonnes and 17.8 million tonnes respectively.

Within port cargo, seaborne and river cargo decreased by 14% and 1% in the first nine months of 2009 over a year earlier to 119.2 million tonnes and 59.1 million tonnes respectively.

Within inward port cargo, imports decreased by 3% in the first nine months of 2009 over a year earlier to 56.0 million tonnes, while inward transhipment dropped by 14% to 46.5 million tonnes.  For outward port cargo, exports and outward transhipment decreased by 11% and 13% to 28.8 million tonnes and 47.0 million tonnes respectively.

CONTAINERS
In the third quarter of 2009, the port of Hong Kong handled 5.6 million TEUs of containers, representing a decrease of 16% compared to a year earlier.  Within this total, laden containers decreased by 13% to 4.8 million TEUs, while empty containers dropped by 28% to 0.8 million TEUs.  Among laden containers, inward containers decreased by 13% to 2.3 million TEUs, while outward containers dropped by 13% to 2.5 million TEUs.

In the first nine months of 2009, the port of Hong Kong handled 15.5 million TEUs of containers, representing a decrease of 17% over the same period in 2008.  Within this total, laden containers decreased by 16% to 13.1 million TEUs, while empty containers dropped by 23% to 2.4 million TEUs.  Among laden containers, inward containers decreased by 15% to 6.5 million TEUs, while outward containers dropped by 17% to 6.6 million TEUs.

On a seasonally adjusted quarter-to-quarter comparison, laden container throughput increased by 4% in the third quarter of 2009.  Within this total, inward and outward laden containers rose by 2% and 6% respectively.

Seaborne and river laden containers decreased by 14% and 10% in the third quarter of 2009 over a year earlier to 3.5 million TEUs and 1.3 million TEUs respectively.

Within inward laden containers, imports and inward transhipment decreased by 14% and 12% in the third quarter of 2009 over a year earlier to 0.8 million TEUs and 1.5 million TEUs respectively.  For outward laden containers, exports and outward transhipment decreased by 21% and 9% to 0.9 million TEUs and 1.6 million TEUs respectively.

In the first nine months of 2009, seaborne and river laden containers decreased by 18% and 10% over the same period in 2008 to 9.4 million TEUs and 3.6 million TEUs respectively.

Within inward laden containers, imports and inward transhipment decreased by 14% and 15% in the first nine months of 2009 over a


Discussion

Be the first to comment on this article!

To avoid Spammers, we ask that you log in using your AJOT.com account. Free accounts have access to commenting.

Did you forget your password?

It happens...