According to recently released data by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport grew enplanements by 78% between 2006 – 2016, making MSY the #2 fastest growing airport in America over the ten-year period. In 2016, New Orleans had 5,569,705 total enplanements, 15% higher than pre-Katrina levels (2004) - indicating not just a return of flights lost post-Katrina, but also an influx of new flights to the region.
New Orleans International Airport now has 56 non-stop flights, including 6 international, for a total of ~150 daily flights. British Airways has recently added a fifth day to its non-stop 787 Dreamliner service to Heathrow, and the new terminal, scheduled to open in 2019, has added gates to accommodate expected future growth.
Top Mid- and Large Airports for 2006-2016 Growth in Enplanements
- Dallas Love Field – 119%
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport – 78%
- San Francisco International – 58%
- Austin-Bergstrom International – 55%
- William P Hobby – 49%
- Seattle Tacoma International – 49%
- Charlotte/Douglas International – 46%
- For Lauderdale/Hollywood International – 40%
- John F. Kennedy International – 40%
- Los Angeles International – 35%