JACKSONVILLE, FL – Crowley FUELS and PowerSecure, a Southern Company subsidiary, have formed an alliance to develop and deploy microgrid solutions incorporating liquefied natural gas (LNG), renewables and storage to provide greater reliability and resiliency to customers and economies throughout the Caribbean and Central America.
Microgrid solutions provided by the Crowley/PowerSecure alliance will provide end users with quality, efficient, clean and resilient power. The Crowley/PowerSecure solutions alliance is focused on creating customer value on both sides of the meter while integrating with other grids where practicable for total system optimization.
The immediate focus of the alliance is to improve the resiliency of power sources for industrial and commercial power users and municipalities in hurricane damaged Puerto Rico. Since 2014, Crowley has safely transported and delivered LNG in ISO containers from Jacksonville, Fla., to industrial and commercial customers throughout Puerto Rico.
Crowley and PowerSecure each have unique capabilities and proven performance which provide superior customer value:
- In Puerto Rico, the Crowley/PowerSecure alliance can guarantee customers 99.5 percent fuel and power availability.
- PowerSecure has 2.5GWs of microgrid solutions (fossil fuel, solar, fuel cell and energy storage) installed on a turnkey basis in mission critical, microgrid applications.
- GreenTech Media Research (GTMR) credits PowerSecure with 41 percent of all true microgrid capacity in the U.S. PowerSecure’s PowerControl® 24/7 Operations Center monitors, maintains and dispatches over 1,600 microgrid sites nationwide.
- Crowley has more than 32MW of LNG supply contracts in Puerto Rico, delivering to customers since 2014. The Crowley LNG supply chain to Puerto Rico is growing capacity and resiliency utilizing Crowley’s logistics expertise to provide an end-to-end energy solution to the customer.
- Crowley has more than 98 million gallons of LNG storage available near Crowley’s terminal in Jacksonville, Fla. Additional storage capacity in Puerto Rico is under development.
“We are proud to partner with PowerSecure to provide safe and reliable transportation of LNG in support of microgrid systems,” said Crowley’s Greg Buffington, vice president, LNG. “As customers in Puerto Rico and other markets consider energy solutions, LNG microgrids provide resilient operations with cleaner, dependable fuel that they can develop to meet diverse industry needs alongside traditional utility services.”
“We are very excited about this alliance with Crowley,” said Mark Martyak, chief sales officer, PowerSecure Distributed Infrastructure. “We are looking forward to providing our highly resilient, sustainable industry-leading microgrids to serve industrial and commercial customers in Puerto Rico and throughout the Caribbean and Central America.”