The Port Commission of The Port of Houston Authority (PHA) approved nearly $5 million in security improvements, including payment of up to $100,000 for Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) enrollment fees on behalf of its Commissioners and Commission counsel, employees and certain temporary workers, at its March 27 regular meeting. Chairman Jim Edmonds presided over the meeting with Commissioner Kase Lawal, Commissioner Steve Phelps, Commissioner Jim Fonteno, Commissioner Jimmy Burke, Commissioner Janiece Longoria and Commissioner Elyse Lanier.
- Commissioners approved a construction contract for $2.278 million to Jerdon Enterprise, L.P., for Cargo Bay Road Gate.
- The Commission approved a professional services contract for $85,920 to Shrader Engineering Company, Inc., for Access Control at Executive Office Building and Port Coordination Center and Connection of Turning Basin Terminal CCTV to fiber network.
- The Commission approved a professional service contract for $42,050. The contractor - North American Controls Corporation ’ will install access control at Barbours Cut Administration Building and replacement of card readers at various Port Authority locations.
- Commissioners approved a professional services contract for $41,837 to TRC Engineers, Inc., for Access Control and CCTV for the Point at Barbours Cut.
- Commissioners approved a professional services contract for $92,000 to HPA, Inc. for Woodhouse Terminal Access Control.
- Commissioners authorized up to $100,000 for payment of Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) enrollment fees on behalf of the port authority’s Commissioners and Commission counsel, employees and certain temporary workers.
PHA is working to be in compliance with the requirements of the Maritime Transportation Security Act, or MTSA. The TWIC will serve as the common identification credential for all personnel requiring unescorted access to secure areas of MTSA-regulated facilities and vessels and all mariners holding Coast Guard issued credentials or qualification documents. TSA will issue workers a tamper-resistant “Smart Card” containing the worker’s biometric (fingerprint template) to allow for a positive link between the card itself and the individual.
- The Commission authorized $2.427 million for an advance funding agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation for construction of the Secured Truck Entrance at Cargo Bay Road.
- Commissioners approved a construction contract for about $1.884 million to AAA Asphalt Paving, Inc. for Gate I Road improvements and Access Road to Lease Yards.
- The Commission approved execution of a change order for $339,618 to Zachry Construction Corporation for Bayport Cruise Terminal Complex Phase I - Site and Utilities.
- Commissioners approved execution of a change order for $66,435 to McCarthy Construction Corporation for Bayport Terminal Complex Phase I Container Yard - Stage1.
- Commissioners approved the amendment of a contract for $186,640 with Klotz Association, Inc. for Bayport Terminal Complex Phase I Container Yard Design.
- The Commission authorized advertising and receipt of competitive sealed proposals for fill placement at Bayport.
- Commissioners approved specifications and authorization of advertising and receipt of competitive sealed proposals for the purchase of three 30KW back-up generators for Bayport Container Terminal.
- Commissioners approved an amendment to a contract for $3.026 million with the Texas Department of Transportation and Harris County for widening Main Street in Galena Park.