As a result of the increased volumes, winter holidays and labor shortages, Maersk is experiencing congestion at the Port of Newark.
APM Terminals 5080 McLester Street, Elizabeth NJ 07201
Effective January 1, 2019, (until further notice) all gates open Monday-Friday from 6.00 a.m. until gate cut off for:
- Empties 5:00 p.m.
- Dry Loads 5:00 p.m.
- Reefer Loads 5:00 p.m.
- Out of Gauge (OOG) Loads 5:00 p.m.
Maher Terminal Corbin Street Port Elizabeth, NJ 07201
- Single Move Import Delivery: 6am – 7pm
- Single Move Export Return: 6am – 7pm
- Single Move Empty Delivery: 6am – 6pm
- Single Move Empty Return: 6am – 6pm
- Reefer Processing Single Move Import Delivery: 6am – 7pm
- Reefer Processing Single Move Export Return: 6am – 7pm
- Reefer Processing Single Move Empty Delivery: 6am – 6pm
- Reefer Processing Single Move Empty Return: 6am – 6pm
- Double Moves All Types: 6am – 6pm
- Hazardous Cargo Receiving: 6am – 4pm
PNCT Terminal 241 Calcutta Street, Newark, NJ 07114
- Single Move Import Delivery: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday
- Single Move Empty Delivery: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday
- Single Move Export Return: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday
- Double Moves: 6:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday - Friday
- Reefer Processing: 6:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday
- Hazardous Cargo Receiving: 6:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday - Friday
- Heavy Lift/Out of Gauge Lifts: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Tuesday, Friday
- All open Trouble Tickets will be voided after 6:00 PM
Maersk is making progress reducing the backlog of rail cargo. To expedite the recovery, and has secured dedicated truck capacity to transfer 50 containers/day to the CSX off-dock ramp. The extreme cold weather in the Midwest has reduced the daily capacity to 35. Once the weather improves, goal is to achieve 50 per day (Mon – Fri). This is expected to alleviate the congestion at MMR.
Furthermore, additional operational alternatives have been developed that will further reduce the overall rail container backlog at APMT, Newark. From January 31, barge services were secured to move approx. 350 containers to Virgina Ports for inland rail connection. Subsequent barge moves are under review. With the vessel diversion program continuing this week, we expect a continued reduction of longstanding containers to/from the rail.
Congestion, along with the extremely low temperatures at the Port of Newark continues to present challenges for truck deliveries. Maersk is working through these challenges with vendors to minimize potential delays with deliveries.
All empty returns will be directed back to APMT effective Tuesday February 4, 2019, with the exception of 20’dry. 20’DRY empty containers may be returned to Ironbound 19-3 Hyatt Ave. yard. PNCT remains shut out for dry receiving of: 20’dry, 40’dry, 40’hc and 45’high.